Pita Pizzas!

I LOVE finding a new recipe that is easy, somewhat healthy, and yummy! I'm constantly scouring Kraft's website, checking out other bloggers ideas, and inventing my own dishes. However, I had yet to find a healthy alternative to pizza. My love affair with the dish has me looking a little too round these days, yet I can't give it up. Which is really bad, considering I'm supposed to limit my carb intake.

Enter Kennedy Union at the University of Dayton. There they had a station where you could order pita pizzas; which has a fraction of the fat, carbs, calories and is still enough food to keep you full.

I decided I'd do my own take on this yummy dish (once I realized it fell within the criteria of how many carbs I'm allowed per meal) and have been making them for over a year now. Because I know I have many moms reading (but you need not be a mom to enjoy this tasty treat!), I thought I'd share the recipe (if you can call it that) with you because it's super easy, a healthy alternative to traditional or bagel pizzas, and the kids can even get in on the action!

What you need:
~Pitas ( I use whole wheat, but any kind is fine)
~A jar of pizza sauce (Ragu is good, but I buy whatever is least expensive)
~A bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (I use low-moisture part skim, but any kind is fine. Can also use pizza cheese)
~Toppings! -- here is where you can get creative! I personally prefer turkey pepperoni, diced green peper, and diced fresh tomato. But anything you like on your pizza can be added (mushrooms, sausage, onion, pineapple, ham, bacon, etc).

What to do:
1. Set the oven to 450* ( I have no rhyme or reason for this temp, other than everything melts/cooks faster and I'm impatient. If you prefer an extra crispy pita crust (and have more patience than I), set the temp lower and bake for longer.)
2. Flip the pitas over and spoon some pizza sauce onto the bottom of the pita and spread around.
3. Add cheese (if you're like me, here is where you go overboard. I will never claim to have self-control or will power; but it has next to zero carbs, so who cares?).
4. Add whichever toppings you have chosen
5. Put pita(s) on a baking sheet lined with foil (for easier clean up) and pop in the oven.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes (this will vary depending on your oven)
7. Remove and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Slice into halves or quarters if you prefer.
8. ENJOY!

So easy, so fast, and so YUMMY!

Throw a salad together for the side and you have a winner of a meal!

If you try out this recipe, let me know how it turns out and if you (and the kids) enjoyed it!




Comments

Anonymous said…
I love new recipes - that sounds yummy - thanks!!!!!
Jenny said…
Why didn't I know these existed at KU! I am DEFINITELY trying one out this weekend - thanks for the idea!
Helene said…
That sounds fabulous!! I love that it's so easy and my kids could probably make their own...and it would kill time in the afternoon when they're getting crabby!
Unknown said…
I.m so going yo yry this!

Popular posts from this blog

Just Popping In

Random Facts about Me You Probably Don't Care to Know.

The Season of Giving... & Receiving