The NICU

Creative title, huh? Anyhoo, I've mentioned briefly that I currently volunteer in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at one of the local hospitals. I absolutely, positively, 1000% LOVE IT! There is no doubt that it is a heart-wrenching place to be, but it has made me fully confident with my decision to attend nursing school and ultimately pursue a job as a NICU RN (I'll elaborate on my decision to go to nursing school in a future post). I try to spend eight hours a week at the hospital and have created a rapport with many of the nurses and the unit reps. The NICU is the top NICU in the state of Indiana and it would be a dream to be able to work there as a student nurse and eventually be hired in as a full-time RN. Of course working there wouldn't get me out of Indiana and to the warm climate I so very much desire, but we'll cross that hurdle when and if the day should come. I've been there for the delivery of triplets and quadruplets, I've seen the tiniest of tiny babies be all-stars and go home healthy and happy, and I've seen the scary, hectic side of the NICU where the life of a preemie is never predictable and things can go from wonderful to terrifying in a split second. It's far from roses and lollipops, but the success stories make it all worth it. And the fact that I basically go in and get to cuddle with cutest little nuggets makes it worth it, too. It's not a place where everyone would or could work, but it's definitely the place for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Popping In

Random Facts about Me You Probably Don't Care to Know.

The Season of Giving... & Receiving